Job Title: Second Line Support Engineer
Salary: £19,000 - £26,000 per annum
Job Category: IT & Technical
Contract Type: Full-time
A fantastic opportunity to join an entrepreneurial business with a growing brand in the UK. We operate some of the UK’s leading price comparison sites for Health Insurance, Income Protection and Life Insurance with significant innovations and USPs through our world-leading software. We power some of the UK’s leading household comparison sites including Confused.com, GoCompare, Money.co.uk and uSwitch.
ActiveQuote are looking to expand their DevOps team in Cardiff due to continued success and ambitious plans to deliver several new projects. This opportunity is for a talented and enthusiastic Second Line Support Engineer.
Reporting to the IT Manager, the Second Line Support Engineer is responsible for maintaining the IT infrastructure for the company premises and distributed network. As the Second Line Support Engineer you will assist the IT Manager in planning, setting up and extending infrastructure and IT capabilities as needed, while working towards a higher apprenticeship or Microsoft MCSA/MCSE.
Responsibilities and duties
– Networking (physical and virtual) – responsible for installing and configuring networking devices (e.g. routers, switches, wireless devices) and network cabling in an organised and practical manner, considering health and safety measures where applicable.
– Proactive server and network monitoring to ensure systems are performing correctly and to identify any issues that could impact the delivery of service to the business and rectify.
– Perform regular checks to ensure systems are performing correctly, escalate issues to 3rd line support engineers/I.T manager.
– Storage – working with iSCSi, lun mapin and storage pools.
– Deploying workstations – includes configuring and installing Personal Computers, display devices, peripherals and other electronic equipment necessary to facilitate the employee’s needs.
– Deploying equipment – such as setting up new printers, IP devices (IP Phones/CCTV/Net2), switches, wireless devices etc.
– Domain and Server Administration – to administer the Windows Domain, including Active Directory users, groups and permissions, Group Policy, Exchange server, Print Server, File Server etc. You will also monitor and install product updates using WSUS.
– Network security – responsible for configuring Firewalls, network permissions, role administration etc. to adequately safeguard the company against internal and external threats or misuse of the internal IT policy.
– End user support – to carry out day-to-day face-to-face and telephone support for internal users and on occasion third parties covering the user of Windows, Telephone and Email systems, and internal software.
– Issue management – to identify, diagnose, track, and (where possible) fix issues with internal and external systems, and to liaise with external partners/service providers to facilitate improvements or fixes to dependent services.
– Inventory – to develop and maintain an up to date hardware and software inventory and to ensure all software is properly licensed.
– Stock control – to order and control the stock of consumables such as toner cartridges.
Education, qualifications and training
– Minimum of 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at grade C or above (Essential).
– A+ Networking (desirable).
– Working towards MCP in desktop/server support.
– A background in working within financial services or regulated environment (desirable).
– DevOps Experience (desirable).
– Exposure to active directory.
– Virtual and physical environments (VMWare and Hyper-V).
– VOIP Platforms.
-Data Centre’s (desirable).
– Hosted platforms, Office 365.
– PRTG Monitoring Systems.
– Group Policy.
– General break fix on Windows 7,10, Server 2008/2012/2016
– Ability to make informed and timely decisions and utilise innovation for the resolution of complex IT issues.
– Ability to prioritise responsibilities under pressure and be self-motivating.
– Personal Integrity and Confidentiality.
– Demonstrates the ActiveValues at all times.
– Exceptional communication, both verbally and in writing.
– Passionate and hard working.
– Excellent organisational skills and capable of multi-tasking to tight deadlines.
– Demonstrates problem solving attributes when required.
Specific requirements for the role
– Able to work 37.5hrs per week Mon-Fri – Rota
– Out of Hours Cover. Provide on call standby support on a rota basis as part of the IT Team.
– As we are regulated by the FCA we are unable to take applications from anyone with a history of bankruptcy, – IVAs or CCJs.
– Valid UK driving license
What we’re offering
– Basic salary £19,000 – £26,000 per annum
– 30 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays).
– Good location with excellent transport links.
– A hard working but fun and lively atmosphere with opportunities to develop within the business.
-Company Benefits & Perks – Income Protection, Private Medical Insurance, Pension Scheme, Buy Additional –
– Leave, Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Package.
Applying For The Job
If you think you have what it takes, please email@example.com with a copy of your CV and cover letter explaining why and how you are suitable for the role.