Job Title: Data Protection Manager
Job Category: Business Support
Contract Type: Full Time
The Data Protection & Privacy Office is looking for a bright enthusiastic individual to join their small team. This is an exciting opportunity to get involved and build a career in an area of work that is under ever increasing scrutiny within the UK and in Europe, due to wholesale legal changes.
The successful candidate will be assisting all levels of Group staff in their understanding of UK, European and Global Privacy legislation and the rules with which they must comply.
Primarily based in Cardiff, your key activities will be:-
– To develop an understanding of operational processes and controls, and assess their effectiveness in mitigating data protection risks faced by the Group
– Subject to consultation with the Group DPO, to obtain legal and Regulator opinions where necessary to clarify legislative ambiguity
– GDPR readiness
– To ensure notifications to the Information Commissioner are in place and are accurate in nature;
– To carry out Privacy Impact Assessments on new products and projects and to complete Data Protection Audits on business functions and key risk areas
– Provide legal and technical knowledge and expertise, in the areas of privacy and data protection, on Group projects and contracts
– Contribute to improvements in the functioning of the organisation’s risk management and control systems
– Develop and maintain good communication lines both internally with Managers and staff.
– Assisting with the management of the DP&P team
– Provide technical guidance and ensure the development of the DP&P team.
Skills and Experience:-
– Knowledge of Privacy and Data Protection legislation is beneficial but not essential, as comprehensive training and compulsory external qualification(s) will be provided.
The successful candidate will need to have an honours degree or equivalent qualifications (higher education or professional qualifications) in data protection, law, insurance, information technology, auditing, accountancy or, if you lack formal academic qualifications, relevant work experience within corporate governance or similar environment
You will also need to be highly literate; have strong communication skills and be comfortable in dealing with all levels of staff. You will need to be self motivated, driven to excellence and need a keen eye for details